Project Fait Sur Mesure: It's Done (I)
Well, mostly! The final product, including the finishing touches we made to the cap sleeves and the bustle you'll see in the next post. And the reason is that I wanted to devote a post to just the process of the garment being sewn together, because I have so much respect for the craftsmanship that went into this piece being made, from start to finish.
I accompanied my cut-but-not-sewn garment down the street from Ruty's to a little sewing shop around the corner. It took one exceptionally talented tailor about 4 hours start to finish, inclusive of interruptions from yours truly to intermittently fawn over his work. Here is what happened at the final stage.
Step 1: Ironing out of the fabric and attaching the interfacing
Step 2: Constructing the bodice
Step 3: Creating the cap sleeves
Step 4: Sewing the bustle
Step 5: Attaching the sleeves
Step 6: Sewing in the lining and adding the zipper
Step 7: Attaching the bustle
Here the bustle was just pinned to the fabric so he could envision how it would move once attached to the bodice.
Also please notice Turkish soap opera! I felt like I was at a workshop in Cairo...aka right at home.
Step 8: Fitting it and making final adjustments...and then finishing it!
I don't have pictures of this because, well, I was getting fitted! But we made modifications to the sleeves, which were wider than I had envisioned. I also wanted the bustle shortened so that it wouldn't graze the floor even if I wore flats. I wasn't actually there for the final touches, which happened early in the morning the next day. But that's it! From fabric store to ready-to-wear in just a couple of weeks!